Abaqus FEA is the software suite for computer-aided engineering and finite element analysis. It is used for a wide variety of material modeling simulations in aerospace, automotive and industrial product industries. Abaqus also has multiphysics, structural-pore and piezoelectric capabilities that are valuable for production simulations in various industries.
Abaqus Scripting is a useful high-level tool that combines the functionality of Abaqus’ Graphical User Interface (GUI) with the power of Python. Abaqus’ Scripting Interface is an application programming interface (API) to modify the data and models in Abaqus. The scripts used in this interface are called Python Scripts.
Python Scripts allow users to perform tasks in Abaqus that would be complex or impossible within the Abaqus GUI. With a script, users can easily automate repetitive tasks, vary parameters of a simulation, extract information from a vast output database and also create a user interface with customized Abaqus’ user interface, hiding parts of the interface from non-FEA team members.
The basic principles of Abaqus Scripting are:
- Create, modify and save the model
- Create script files with the input files generated by Abaqus
- Create output
- Run the generated script files to redo the calculation
- Create a different model and output by adjusting the script
To perform these tasks, it is important to have a basic understanding of the Python programming language. Leveraging EDS Technologies’ industry experience in Abaqus, readers can look forward to a series of future blogs on Python Scripting for Abaqus.
Python is a high-level, object-oriented scripting language with its first implementation by Guido van Rossum in 1989 at Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica (CWI), the National Research Institute for Mathematics and Computer Science in the Netherlands. Python is one of the most revered and oldest scripting languages, preferred by Engineers, Scientists, Mathematicians, and Researchers to turn the engineering and mathematical concepts into Applications.
The key features of Python will help beginners understand why Python is so popular and used for Abaqus scripting.
Features of Python:
- Expressive: It is one of the more expressive programs meaning it is easy to read and understand. Reading through a Python code is similar to reading English but this feature of python enables the coder to concentrate on the solution than the programming language.
- Large Standard Library: It has an extensive library including modules, expressions, unit testing, databases, GUI, and various other elements for rapid application development.
- Free and Open Source: It is available for free on the Python website with the open-source code. This is the main reason that makes Python so popular and preferred as it is constantly improved by the community.
- Portable: Due to the open-source feature, Python holds the capability to run on different platforms such as Windows, Linux, Unix, and Macintosh, etc making it a portable language.
- GUI Programming: Graphical user interfaces are easily developed using Python. This is one of the key aspects of this language as it enables users to add flair to the program and make the results visually attractive. Also, it supports a wide array of graphic user interfaces that can be easily imported.
As per the ‘Zen of Python’, the philosophy of the Python programming language, simple is better than complex. This series on Python Scripting is to simplify the learning path for beginners and provide an informative resource for Abaqus users. EDS Technologies also provides on-site training for Abaqus customers. Contact us to know more about our training services.